The emails and forwards are maneuvering their way through the internet-highways. Regularly, we open our inboxes and there they are. And with one click of the mouse, these forwards are sent from one person to twenty others.
You know what I'm talking about. They are forwards of the "obvious" (I write with sarcasm) facts that Barack is a closet Muslim, he is really a racist, he has a hidden agenda, etc.
Let's call this what it is--pornography and gossip! Plain and simple! No way around it!
Look, this email isn't about condoning Obama. I would be writing the exact same post if these emails were circulated about McCain or Clinton. However, sense the source of most of these forwards are from right-wing-Republicans, they target the "enemy" in a way to demoralize by proof-texting in order to strike fear in people.
It is a form of pornography--the depiction of acts as to arouse a quick intense emotional reaction.
It is gossip.
And I am using my blog as a way to say, "This is sinful!"
I can guarantee that the majority of people sending these emails have never read "The Audacity of Hope." Someone with an agenda read it and snatched phrases and sentences without even giving the context. Let's be honest, maybe some of the statements fit the context, but this isn't the best way to obtain information. If so, we could proof-text any author and even places in Scripture to stir up negative emotions.
I am not writing to condone or condemn loyal-right-wing-Republicans who do much of this in the name of God. But will you please listen to the 18-35 crowd...the crowd that is fleeing from many of our churches because of the embarrassment of being lumped into a category of being fundamental-Republican-Christians.
These emails are circulated because:
1) People allow fear to serve as a motivator. Fear has always been and will always be a lousy motivator!
2) There are people who believe that the Republican party is the answer to the so-called spiritual decline of America.
Government cannot be the answer to Christianity or discipleship. When it becomes the answer, we have submitted to the powers of the world and we fail to truly embrace the all-supremacy, Lordship of Jesus. (May God forgive us)
A few suggestions:
1) Pray for God to stir within the hearts of all our political figures in ways that will draw them into the story of Jesus--a story of morals, ethics, compassion, service, sacrifice, unity, and truth.
2) Pray for the world--that peace and harmony will exist.
3) Do not let fear serve as the greatest motivator of your life. It will only lead you to explore desperate measures which will most likely lead to more fear and desperation.
4) Stop with emails and forwards that seek to dehumanize and demoralize people. This isn't the way of the cross.
5) And from my boy Troy Robertson, quit putting the power of government to solve problems over the power of Jesus.
Whew...I love getting stuff off my chest. :)