Friday, May 2, 2008

Thin Spaces

God has a good resume of entering into the sufferings of people.

He entered into our suffering yesterday. It was a long day--we had a funeral in Decatur at 10:00am, then we drove over 4 hours to East Texas where we had another memorial service at the burial place. Over 200 people showed up at the site.

Funerals are "thin spaces"--places where heaven and earth kiss. Yesterday was one of the hardest days I have had to walk through, but God was present in more ways than I can count. There are no tears left to cry. However, Billie Jones will continue to minister to us because his life will always be fresh.

I think it is interesting that in Genesis, Isaac and Ishmael went their separate ways, but in Gen. 25:9-10, both of the brothers are present at Abraham's burial. The next set of brothers, Jacob and Esau, went their separate ways, but both brothers are present at Issac's burial in 35:28-29.

Yesterday, I rode in a car with my sister and bro-in-law for over 4 hours to the burial--it was a thin space.
Last night, I rode with my brother and my dad back to Decatur. Another thin space.
Today, we helped my grandmother clean out some of my grandpa's stuff. Thin space.
I joined my dad and brother moving a pile of dirt throughout the backyard for a couple of hours. Yep...thin space.
My brother and I just got back from a basketball court. Even though he beat me 2 games out of 3, it was a thin space.

Thank you for your prayers and your love for my family.

3 comments:

Steve Dye said...

Josh –

Just this week, my nephew Michael told me that “pain is weakness leaving the body.” That didn’t convince me to join his martial arts class, but it did make me think of you and what you’re experiencing this week.

Difficult times tend to either destroy us or make us stronger. Your words reveal that your love for your grandfather and your faith in our heavenly Father are both strengthening and healing you right now even through the tears.

May you consider the possibility that the pain you are currently experiencing is actually a bit of weakness leaving your soul as your relationship with Jesus that you continually cultivate and nurture cleanses you of spiritual impurities ... comforts your heart ... and strengthens you through your grief to be an even better man than you already are ... a man that your grandfather and our Father will always be very proud of.

May you find Him to be a faithful Friend in every moment ... and every season ... of your life.

I’m praying for you today.

Steve

lisa foreman said...

God does meet us in the thin spaces. I can testify to that fact.

He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.
(Isaiah 40:11)

He has carried me in His arms more times than I can name and He will carry you through this thin space too.

Peace and Hope for better times,
Lisa

Josh Ross said...

Steve and Lisa,
Your words are received this morning by me in the name of Jesus. Thank you.