Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Becoming What We Pray

What happens when we become the prayer we pray?
I read a phrase similar to this towards the end of Eugene Peterson's "The Jesus Way." This idea won't let me go.
I am filled with questions:
-Do I pray with an expectation for God to really do something?
-What would happen if God really gave me the courage that I pray for? Would I still want it?
-What in my life needs to change in order for me to be clothed with the character of Jesus?

Quote from Peterson:
Be slow to pray. Praying puts us at risk of getting involved with God's conditions. Praying most often doesn't get us what we want but what God wants, something quite at variance with what we conceive to be in our best interests. And when we realize what is going on, it is often too late to go back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that you have to be careful what you pray for! We get so focused on what we want and what we think should happen that I think we often do not think through what our prayer requests really mean. Prayer is not idle chatter with God but a profound discussion with God.

Luke said...

I like the be slow to pray comment.
Good thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Prayer Development: (1) gimme (child to parent); I have some discomfort; satisfy these personal needs (2)I need support and mentoring to be your follower; I place myself in your care; thy will be done (3)