Friday, November 30, 2007

I still get nervous...

I'm not afraid to admit it--I still get nervous every time I speak. I've been standing in front of people now for nearly 10 years, if you go back to high school when I frequently spoke at youth rally's, devotionals, church services, and FCA meetings. I've been preaching full-time for nearly 5 years. Yet, whether it is at my home church, youth rally's, other churches, retreats, lectureships, or church camps--I still get a feeling in my stomach. It's not the kind of nervousness that makes my knees shake or my hands sweat. Instead, it is a nervousness that comes from the responsibility that I have been given to stand before hungry people in order to declare a word from the Lord. It is a realization that I have been given responsibility to speak words into dark places, complacent hearts, desperate situations, "ruined" lives, hurting families, and broken spirits. I am called upon every week to speak pastorally and prophetically. Hungry and thirsty people come anticipating a word that will point them to something greater.

This nervousness gives birth to passion and excitement. This is my calling. This is my job. This is what I love to do.

I hope that feeling of responsibility never leaves me. If it does, I need to find another job.

6 comments:

Rick Ross said...

I am so glad that you have followed your calling. You are an incredible instrument for the Lord. I'm proud.

Anonymous said...

Getting nervous means you have to rely on God. It also requires you to consider what effect your words will have on people.

Anonymous said...

God bless that kind of nervousness.

mchristophoros

Luke said...

I get nervous when I do announcements, but not when I preach. Does that mean anything?

Anonymous said...

I can resonate with that feeling of responsibility. I often tell my wonderful congregation that I have to answer a weekly "altar call" in my office before I preach my sermons. I find that one of the most challenging aspects of preaching (in my short 3 year tenure) - standing vulnerably before the text on a weekly basis. As the text reads me I'm reminded that these are the words of God and not mine. I'm not sure if I always submit to this truth.

And Luke, about announcements... I once dropped the "S" bomb while trying to say "Sheet" and only 4 people laughed (or noticed). Nobody listens to announcements.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I get nervous when Luke does announcements. Does THAT mean anything?