Friday, December 19, 2008

Does Paul Know What He's Talking About?

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
Indeed, we live as human beings, but we do not wage war according to human standards; for the weapons of our warfare are not merely human, but they have the divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle raised up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to obey Christ.
*****
These words have transformed me over the past few months.
This phrase won't let me go--"the divine power to destroy strongholds."
*****
I think E.M. Bowers is right, when he wrote in 1906:
"The church is looking for better methods...God is looking for deeper people."
"The church is looking for better organization and novel methods...but God is looking for people of prayer...people who are mighty in prayer."
"The Holy Spirit doesn't flow through methods, but people."
"The Holy Spirit doesn't anoint plans, but people."
*****
This is not a rhetorical question, but a question worth pondering as individuals and as churches--"Do we pray as people who believe in God's power to destroy strongholds right here and now?"

1 comment:

Jeff said...

For much of my life, the answer is no but I believe I am beginning to get there. For far too long, I have thought of angels and demons as almost cartoon characters but have come to realize that I am face to face with them even though I may not always see them.

I am convicted of trying to build good ideas on the outside without having the foundation on the inside right with God. I am thankful He has helped me to see that and begin fixing the inside, as painful as it has been at times.